October is one of our favorite times here at Lake Agape. The leaves are changing, it’s getting chilly outside, and the grounds are quiet after a long summer. But that’s not our favorite part. Over Columbus Day weekend, we get the chance to host a Fall Retreat every year for Junior and Senior High students! That is our favorite part of October, and here are a few reasons why:
- It’s a little taste of camp in the off season! Who says camp is only made for the summer? Fall Retreat packs all the fun of a full week of camp into a single weekend. From pretzel sandwiches, to night games, and even a round or two of Wawa-Man, you get the camp experience in October!
- Camp just looks beautiful. Fall is definitely my favorite season. From the cool air to the changing leaves, fall is easily one of the most beautiful seasons. But especially here at Lake Agape! During Fall Retreat, the air is cooler, and the leaves are changing to shades of reds and oranges. It’s definitely a sight to see! On the plus side, camp isn’t as hot as it is during the summer, and that’s a win in our books!
- You don’t need to wait a full year to see your favorite camp friends. What is so cool about Fall Retreat is that so many different people come together to serve on staff or come as campers, so you’ll see so many people you met during the summer! It’s an awesome chance to see friends that you don’t normally get to see.
- It’s a nice break from school. By October, the summer feels like a lifetime ago. You start to get busy with schoolwork, and after school activities that sometimes, it’s nice to get away for a little while. And what better to place to spend it than at Lake Agape?
- You get the chance to re-light your fire for Christ. When fall hits, you’re back to the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and it’s all too easy to slip back into your old routines and habits and forget what you learned at camp. Fall Retreat is the chance to recharge your faith, connect more deeply with God, and remember the promises and prayers you made in August.
This year, we had over 80 students come out to Fall Retreat, and what an awesome weekend it was! The theme this year was “Worth It!.” During the 48 hours the students and staff joined together here, we heard an important message. We’re worth it.
It seems like such a simple thought, doesn’t it? But in our media driven world, this message is convoluted. We are constantly bombarded with the idea that our value comes from things, like the clothes we wear, the friends we have, our awards and accolades, our grades, or even your position on your sports team. We are being told that our value comes from things or people. But that’s a lie. In fact, that’s the biggest lie our world tells us.
But during Fall Retreat, we were reminded that our worth does not come from anything in this world. Our value comes from God. In fact, to Him, we’re priceless. He sent His son to die on a cross because you are worth it.
And what an important message for all of us, whether you’re a junior high student, on staff, or a parent. Sometimes, we all need a little reminder that we are worth it because we are created in the image of the God who loves us unconditionally and sent His Son to die for us.