Winter is always a time of preparation at camp. Program directors begin to discuss themes and assemble their staffs for summer camp, projects and building repairs are planned, and much work takes place “behind the scenes.” However, this year looks a bit different. In addition to our summer camps, we are privileged and excited to partner with three organizations doing Hurricane Sandy Relief:
- AmeriCorps and National Community Conservation Corps volunteers in New Jersey serving along the coast will be staying at the camp on an ongoing basis when camp is not in session. If you are interested in providing a hot meal for these teams, engaging in our hospitality ministry, or would be willing to stop in once during the week as a resource person, contact Melissa Kappeler at KappelerFamily@gmail.com.
- Another opportunity comes at the beginning of the summer. The Board of Directors has entered into a contract agreement with Group Workcamps, enabling Group to utilize our facilities as a “home base” for as many as 200 teen volunteers per week for four weeks. This is very exciting! These groups will be serving in Ocean City, Long Beach Island, and all along the Jersey Shore. If you are interested in learning more about Group Workcamps, go to groupmissiontrips.com/workcamps.
Here are some key details the Delanco Camp Community needs to know:
- These are not just “rentals” but strategic ministries in the life of our camp. These opportunities fit squarely into our mission as a camp and we are blessed to partner with volunteers and teams engaging in this vital work.
- The contract with Group has necessitated a shift in when Camp Meeting will take place in 2013. We believe this opportunity to be timely and felt that moving Camp Meeting to Labor Day Weekend could possibly be in the best interest for all involved. Camp Meeting will have a concentrated schedule with new components (coming soon!) and this shift allows us to host Group for two additional weeks this summer.
- There are opportunities for churches, Sunday School classes, families, and individuals to volunteer in these partnerships. Contact Melissa (email above) or Mike Bill (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in serving in this manner.
- Both of these partnerships will contribute to our financial recovery as a ministry. In both cases, the camp is being compensated for housing, utilities, any necessary staffing, etc. Though our primary goal is not to “make money” with these partnerships, our leadership is committed to the financial health and stability of the camp going forward.
Praise God for the work being done in and through Delanco Camp to make a difference in our world through Jesus Christ…I’m looking forward to a wonderful year in 2013 and the many things God is going to do!
Mike Bill is the president of the board of directors of the Delanco Camp Meeting Association and is a pastor at Sharptown Church.