“But there is a place where someone has testified: “What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the angels; you crowned him with glory and honor and put everything under his feet? In putting everything under him, God left nothing that is not subject to him. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to him. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.” -Hebrews 2:6-9
Today is Saturday…the day between the days. It is often overlooked and seldom seen as important in the Easter season. It is the day prior to celebration and the day after mourning. It is the day when everything was over and yet a door before everything would begin anew. Have you ever wondered what the characters close to the cross did on Saturday?
- Did Peter cry uncontrollably, replay the events in his mind, and wonder “what do I do now?”
- Did the High Priests stand and “give God praise” for answered prayer about that upstart troublemaker from Galilee?
- Did John and Mary heed Jesus’ instructions from the cross and comfort one another?
- Did Joseph of Arimathea have to answer questions for his lending of a tomb to a known heretic?
- Did Pilate breathe a sigh of relief or was he racked with guilt over his indecision?
- Did disciples begin to work on their résumé’s and begin traveling back home?
- Did Malchus, one of the temple guards who arrested Jesus, continue to feel his ear and wonder about Jesus?
- Did Simon of Cyrene have to explain to his boys about Jesus? Did he have splinters from the cross in his shoulders?
I wonder about Saturday and what people felt because I think it is much like the situation in which we find ourselves. Hebrews says that all things are under the feet of Jesus and yet, we currently do not see the full picture…yet we see Jesus!! In many cases, we do not know how things will end, why things occur in the manner in which they do, and what the future holds. We struggle to understand the timing, will, and plan that God has for our lives…YET WE SEE JESUS.
Today is Saturday, the day between the days. What are your areas of uncertainty today? What are your doubts that need explanation? What lies on the horizon? In every case, we do not yet have the answer…BUT WE SEE JESUS…PRAISE BE TO
Mike Bill is a pastor at Sharptown Church and is president of the camp’s board of directors. Photo of Lake Agape by Emily Saunders.